Blog 2: Finding time to do what you do.
Being both
an artist and a writer has its perks, however. I have a hard time someday doing
it all. I’m a pro now at time managing my self, work, and side projects. It’s
the things life surprises me with that I sometimes have to fit in.
For
example, I live in Minnesota, the great land of snow, ice and road
construction. It takes me ten minutes to get from my house to the Starbucks
where I work on average unless I have to creep along at 20 miles and hour. Then
it takes anywhere from 25-35 minutes some times more.
That
doesn’t seem like a whole lot of time, right. But if you think about it that is
that much more time I could be writing.
Now I’m not
saying you have to write every single second of the day. Even if some people
do, or try. I for one can’t. It just doesn’t work like that for me. I’ve had
professors who can write for eight hours straight. My time spend is more like
three to four hours.
So if I
want to write like that in short few hours bursts, I have to plan the heck out
of my days and some times even week. I work a full time job, which is great
cause it pays the bills. But as all of us know as writers and artists, that’s
not what makes you happy. Creating makes you happy.
So, lets go
over how to juggle your life version your creating. This is going to be really
different for everyone.
The
first ting you need to find out is went you work the best.
What does that even mean? It’s
pretty simple to figure out. It’s easier if you have a job honestly. As you go
thru the day think about when you are the most awake. When do you feel like you
get the most done!
It’s going to be different for
everyone. My best writing and time is between 6am-10am. Yes, I move long before
the sun is up. That might be you it might not. Many of the people I know, love
the deep dark night to disappear in to there work.
A lot of people do. However, your
time might be at 2pm in the afternoon. And your at work! Hopefully you get a
day off (at the very least) if not try writing or working on your lunch hour.
As you shove food in to your mouth try to at least write a plot line down on a
sticky note.
Every little steps counts in this.
So if you can pinpoint that time in
the day you work the best, try to at least get thirty minutes in if possible.
If not shoot for ten.
Happy working everyone, you are all
amazing artists. Don’t ever stop.
No comments:
Post a Comment